Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Reformation Day

I do not celebrate Halloween. I believe it is an evil day. For starters, candy in the amounts that kids usually haul it in this day, isn't good for you. I know, it's tempting. I love candy, chocolate to be specific. But, that's how they draw you in.

You start by telling yourself that you and your kids won't dress up as anything evil.

Then you have your adorable kids, dressed as a princess or maybe a pumpkin, prance around begging for candy.

Then your kids grow up, and want to dress as a monster, or a villian.

Then they are teens, and want to go out with their friend on Halloween. What do they dress like? Do you know? Are they half naked, or appropriately dressed?

Your kids are also being subjected to all the evil that takes place this night.

There are more crimes that take place on Halloween night, than any other. Mostly vandalism, but there are others as well.

I for one am not celebrating or supporting this holiday, if you can call it that.

Instead, I celebrate Reformation Day. On this day 493 years ago, a man named Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the door of a church. He taught that salvation is not earned by good deeds but received only as a free gift of God's grace through faith in Jesus as redeemer from sin. He challenged the authority of the pope of the Roman Catholic Church by teaching that the Bible is the only source of divinely revealed knowledge. He started to Protestant Movement.

Luther was asked to renounce or reaffirm his beliefs, and said this, "Unless I am convinced by proofs from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and arguments, I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment